Broadus Wood High

Located in the rural Earlysville area of northern Albemarle County, Broadus Wood Elementary School was founded in 1905 on land donated by Mr. Broadus Ira Wood from a small section of his farm. Three one-room schools (Sandy Bottom, Longwood, and Happy Hollow) merged to create what was originally called "Earlysville High School." The one-story frame structure opened in 1906 and held 52 students, a principal, two teachers, and a 10-stall stable where students could park their horses after the 3-7 mile journey to school. When it burned down in 1935, the middle section remained somewhat intact and was transformed into Broadus Wood, which later became an elementary school with the opening of Albemarle High School in 1953.